I grew up in a world where kids were either "full of energy" or "not motivated", Clean Freaks or Slops, kids who had "ants in their pants" or were "slow as molasses. Nowadays, those same children would be labeled with ADD, ADHD, OCD, ODD, SID, etc, etc, etc.
As a mother of an active boy, I kept one eye on him and the other on lots of parenting books and articles. In the end, it was ME! who in recent years was diagnosed with ADD.
The good news is over the years, unbeknownst to me, I created the ideal job that required juggling & multitasking where ADD is a great fits. It almost mimics the way I view a hyper-can't-sit-still kid or a never-looks-up-from-a-book kids. The first would make an awesome Emergency Room doctor; the second would be a great heart surgeon that requires hours of concentration.
Each and everyone of us has something that could be tweaked. Most important is to turn what some may label as a weakness into a strength. So the next time you see a somebody with a different way about them, try to see the flip side and celebrate the differences between all of us.
Post Script: for more insight of Me & ADD, check out the March 19 post when I was adjusting my prescription. Happy to say, my mild meds can eliminate the runaway train that sometimes exists and replace with a soothing choo choo train.
Toot-Toot! All aboard! Karen is here and perfect just the way she is.
Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment