Thursday, April 7, 2011

Modern Day Renaissance Woman


Picture Bob the Builder and I Dream of Jeannie's love child and you might just see my face. I know, what did she do now?!?

I went from an evening of being a divine woman which included sensual movement, soul touching meditation, and celebrating me to the next night filled with sawdust, splinters, and maybe the onset of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. All this to better understand me, who I am, and where I'm going.

Last night, I attended a clinic at Lowe's Hardware out East in preparation for my role as a volunteer with Habitat for Humanity's "Women's Build." We learned about worksite safety (very, very dangerous so it seems) and how to do framework.

When it was time for somebody to give the hammer a whirl, I was the first one up. My dad always taught me that it's better to get it over with then to sit with nervous anticipation. After banging a nail from all different angles, I got it in after 25 taps. Hmmm! Maybe Water Girl might be a better role for me. Nahhh!

As the night concluded a local news cameraman asked to interview me ]nd two other ladies. That was neat, but I only know one friend (hi Lisa) who has Verizon FIOS to tell me what was shown.

In the end, as I stated on camera, I was very excited to join this group of volunteers as the idea of women building a home and being a role model to my 13 year old son...what can be more empowering?

So get ready to open up your wallets friends, I'm looking for sponsors. We'll be talking soon.

NEXT WEEK on The New Adventures of Karen will be a clinic recap on roofing & siding. Stay tuned.

No comments: