
Today was Lindsey and Ed's wedding in Upper Saddle River. Gisele and Phil's was a bit closer in Newark. Valerie's got even closer to home - Port Washington. Robyn's so long ago and Bill drove - no idea what town that was. And my favorite wedding of work friends was Jen and Elie's in Huntington. How convenient (and fun!)
As you may know, I'm no longer comfortable driving by myself across the bridges or through the city streets; so I prefer to use public transportation. And there was a lot of that today.
I took the LIRR to Penn where I caught a NJ Transit train to Jen by her parent's in Little Silver, NJ and off we went for a 1.5 hr car ride. I left my house at 11:30am and it was non-stop movement, be it train or car and the last 300 feet fast little flip flop feet.
I really thought 4.5 hours was enough time to get us to the Church on time, {shout out to David Bowie} but when they closed the Church doors on me to prepare for the bride's walk, I was left looking for Jen & lil' Nate to come join me outside and listen to the wedding march. As always, Lucky Karen was rewarded with seeing the beautiful bride on her dad's arm as she stepped out of the bridal suite and walk right past me into the Church. Nobody got the photo that I did...and I love that view!
Jen and I were then ushered up to the balcony. Pretty neat looking down this small, old Church and seeing everything unobstructed. I kept my little cell video on and got different clips. As I looked around, I saw one of the bridesmaids across the balcony from me next to the organist. I realized she must be singing a song for them. It was only when Jen walked to the small room to my right when we realized all eyes were upon us...I mean...the singer. Jen went in her room and I ducked down so that it wouldn't be all about me. C'mon - late entrance, balcony seating...screams me, me, me!
After the final kiss, or is the first kiss?, Jen & I went downstairs to remove the stroller from the bridal suite. If you think about it, Lindsey probably never expected us to come to the Church, we were the last ones to arrive, I'm sure she didn't want to see my face as she tucked her arm in her father's, and now...a baby stroller is in her former sanctuary. Oh, well, as Dionne Warwick sings, "...that's what friends are for...keep smiling...for good times and bad times I'll be on your side forever more. That's what friends are for.."
The adventure continued as we used my GPS to find a local McDonald's to simply go to the bathroom. We were on winding roads and going in circles. We then had Jen's GPS ready to bring us back to the city. Soon, we didn't know what voice to listen to as we were told "make the next legal u-turn" a couple of times. think about it - two commands to make 'next legal u-turn' and your simply chasing your tail.
We finally stopped at an ice-cream store, did our business, and off to the Big Apple. We went on our separate ways and are both now resting comfortably thinking of our dear friend as she dances in her husband's arm and daydreams about their honeymoon in Greece. Now if I only could have added a plane ride to this entry's title...I might be that much more tempted to go to another colleague wedding. Hmmm! Kate or Emily...destination wedding calls! What am I saying...maybe my next wedding calls? You never know! And that one my friends, will be very close to my home.
Happy Long Loving Lives Together...Lindsey & Ed!
No comments:
Post a Comment