
It's been five full days since I had my lap band surgery. To those unfamiliar with this procedure it is -- to me -- a last resort to gain control of my health.
The decision to have voluntary surgery was not easy nor made overnight. In fact it's been a good 15 years in the making. As a child I was not seriously overweight, maybe a good 15 lbs but looking back it was enough to effect my self-esteem and the way I perceived myself. Through the years of laughter, friendships, good times and some hard times I didn't realize that I was building a wall around myself.
After a not-so-successful marriage resulting in a wonderful role as a mother I lost myself. It's over four years since my divorce, five years since the physical separation (living together), and seven years from the emotional separation (I wasn't aware of it at the time). There's no more excuses; no more waiting. A new era is here and that's me as a "new 30 year old."
Previously in 2006 I had gone to a lap band seminar that I was not ready to embrace. Fast-forward to September 2007...my mother and step dad went to a seminar in their hometown to better understand the procedure. With mom's encouragement, step dad's reservations, and my father's support I started to look for a surgeon. I went to a friend's surgeon and waited three weeks for a seminar that didn't satisfy me. I waited seven more weeks to meet the surgeon and decided that this practice was not for me. I needed discipline, organization, as well as feeling like I was more than just another patient.
It was then I went back to a seminar in December to see the first surgeon. Now this very same seminar that I couldn't embrace a year or so earlier was exactly what I was looking for. Whoosh! Another fast forward...January consultation...two months of doctors and testing and follow up...and three months later I was being wheeled into the OR.
I can honestly say I was never in any pain or discomfort and not hungry at all.
Day One - sore getting up & down.
Day Two - little broth, water, and jello (was home by 3pm)
Day Three - protein drinks (a few oz) and very little water
Day Four - able to sleep on side and finally drinking water flavored with Crystal-Lite
Day Five - sitting here looking forward to peanut butter on two saltines (two weeks out!)
Feeling good and ready to go out with friends tomorrow.
2 comments:
I am so happy to hear about your success and want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I truly hope that this new journey takes you to all the wonderful places you deserve.
Love,
Evelyn
You've always been a butterfly...you've just spent to much time inside your cocoon taking are of everyone else, including ME.
You are an inspiration!
Love,
Kris
Post a Comment